Just How Long Will We Have to Wait Before Getting Those New Computer Chip Credit Cards?
#ITPN has the know on this one. We're sure you've heard about the announced transition. Long gone will the magnetic strips be on those credit cards, replaced by that familiar shiny 'square' on the card. What is that 'square'?
That's the computer chip. And it's designed to read the transaction very much like how the magnetic strip does, only safer and easier.
Here's the thing, though: it's going to take a bit of a while before we can see those cards in our hands and start using them. Only 40% of cardholders at this moment most likely carry credit cards with the computer chips. The other 60% still have to sit around and wait for at least several months.
That, of course, isn't much of a bother. After all, your plastic still works. So why stress?
Keep in mind that this is going to be a DRASTIC change as you find your plastic incorporating credit card chip technology. But that’s a good thing!